Our Goal: Lift Nearly 5,000 Saginaw County Residents Out Of The ALICE or Below CLassifications
Across Michigan, 43% of households struggle to afford the basic necessities of housing, childcare, food, technology, healthcare, and transportation. That's why United Ways across Michigan, with help from the Consumers Energy Foundation, have come together to bring you the ALICE Project. Standing for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed - ALICE represents those in our communities who are working yet still struggling to make ends meet.
United for a Better Community
United Way of Saginaw County helps create community impact everyday by connecting community resources and volunteers. Currently, United Way facilitates community partnerships, administers grants and implements community impact programs designed to achieve outcomes. These programs allow UWSC and our partners to unite together, enhancing capacity and adding value to the community. Each program allows us to partner with people from all walks of life. From community volunteers, to nonprofits, college students, businesses, public safety and more - these programs would not be possible if it were not for the multiple community partnerships within each program.
United Way 2020 - 2021 Funded Programs
- Boys and Girls Club of the Great Lakes Bay Region – Alice Academic Success Program
- Child and Family Services of Saginaw – Counseling Center – Mental Health Counseling and Outreach Groups
- Child and Family Services of Saginaw - Sexual Assault Center Victim Support Services
- First Ward Community Center – The LACER Program
- Hidden Harvest – Food Rescue and Redistribution Program
- Houghton-Jones Neighborhood Task Force – Sis. Lois A Sheffer Enrichment Programs
- READ Association of Saginaw County – Raising Readers
- READ Association of Saginaw County – Youth Literacy Mentor Program
- Saginaw County Business and Education Partnership – Project Transportation
- Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity – Financial Capabilities Program
- Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity – Home Repairs Program
- Saginaw Youth Protection Council – Teen Parent Services
- Saginaw Youth Protection Council – Innerlink
- Samaritas Community Center, Saginaw – Get To Work
- Samaritas Community Center, Saginaw – Drive to Succeed
- Underground Railroad – Counseling Center
- YWCA Great Lakes Bay Region – Getting Ahead Program
United Way Internal Programs
A staff run program that distributes quality reading material to children from birth to age 5.
Emergency Food and Shelter
United Way staff oversee the distribution of FEMA dollars to at least 10 local organizations that provide economic relief in the areas of food, emergency shelters, utilities, and rent and mortgages.
A partnership with local businesses and labor groups to provide Saginaw County residents with mobility ramps.
Youth Service Days
The United Way and the Saginaw Community Foundation engage Saginaw County youth by hosting days of service.
Facilitated by United Way staff, AmeriCorps members plan educational after-school activities for children to become more involved in fields utilizing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
The Household Occupancy Maintained Efficiently (HOME) program is run through the United Way of Saginaw County offices and utilizes grant dollars for homelessness prevention and rapid re-housing services.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
The VITA program offers free tax preparation services to qualifying Saginaw County residents.
The Lexia Literacy program is designed to engage students in individual reading curriculums that are implemented in after-school, out-of-school, and summer reading programs.