We Want Every Student to Graduate Ready to be Successful
According to KidsCount, "more than 60% of students are not proficient in 3rd grade language arts." The ability to read at 3rd grade is essential to educational success and a good indicator as to wheather a student will graduate from school.
To ensure the success of our vision for improving education, United Way of Saginaw County has coordinated and aligned services with United Way affiliated programs, faith-based and other community organizations to help students read at grade level.
Lexia - Making Learning Fun
Lexia Learning Reading Core5 for students in grade K-5 and Lexia Strategies for older students is an individual reading curriculum implemented in after school, out of school, and summer program settings.
- Lexia is evidence-based and has been shown to create significant progress in reading
- Students learn, practice, and consolidate fundamental literacy skills
- The program includes activities that work on six components of reading: Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Structural Analysis, Fluency, Vocabulary, and Comprehension
- The licenses are free to participating agencies and students can use desktop, tablets, or laptop computers with online access to the programs
United Way provides the infrastructure for student licenses, on-going coaching, webinar training, recruiting volunteers, student interns, and their placement within the agencies. The Lexia Literacy Program is available at the following organizations:
1. Houghton Jones Neighborhood Association
2. Saginaw County Community Action Center
3. Bridgeport High School
4. Carrolton Middle School
5. Developing Minds Tutoring
6. Boys and Girls Club of the Great Lakes Bay Region - Stone Unit
7. Frankenmuth Schools
8. First Ward Community Services
10. Youth First
11. Wolverine Services Center
Join The Fight!
To become a partner site, learn more about our partnerships, or to find out more about the program, please contact Rachelle Hilliker at (989) 776-0545.